Monday, October 6, 2008

W00t!

I'd say I work in a pretty competitive business environment.

We have a budget to work towards as a store, Friday Specials for the customers and counter guys (I say guys well, because, it mostly is.), and the counter/inside sales email is sent out every month by our GM. This email lists the top ten counter/inside sales associates in three categories, two of which deal with monies and the other is by tickets written. It's added up, averaged out and I'm sure there are even 8x10 glossy photos with circles and arrows and photographs on the back but what matters(?) is the number at the bottom of the email, who is that months Inside/Counter Associate.

Yeah, I was numero uno for the month of September for our region (read, the state of Desert).

I normally don't care too much about where I place on the overall list, as long as I'm somewhere on two of the three. I'm not a sales-driven person. I tend to work with the customers who don't necessarily want the best deal, they want the weird stuff and they need it yesterday. They have jobs that require all aluminum items because it's going into an MRI room. They need registers for a house that will have an energy bill higher than most peoples mortgages. They are looking for a fan that can handle 22000 cfm and will have 22" round ducting.

I think the two big reasons that I'm bragging are: I was actually kind of hoping to move away from sales with the promotion and the #2 boss gave me a call to congratulate me on being first on the list. An atta-boy like that makes me feel like I do matter, I'm not just a cog in a big sales machine. Even though tomorrow I'll probably get an email asking about why our branch has such craptastic daily report card.....it's all good.

No comments: