Monday, August 11, 2008

The Brown Castle

Hey old girl.

I knew you once. I recognize you but you're not the same.

I've walked the halls and you're no longer the school that I grew up in. 

The stairwells and halls that I walked as an intimidated freshman and as a confident senior. 

The lockers in the basement with the locks that always gave me grief, the windows where friends would meet in the mornings and lunch to discuss the day, music, the people, the events and non-events alike. 

The Bowl where I had to bring 300 fellow cadets to attention with only my little lungs.

The courtyard where I was able to salute our Flag while hearing Taps played by two trumpets and a 21 gun salute that never failed to bring tears to my eyes. 

The courtyard where I jumped into a fight and got my head slammed into a bus. 

It's all there but the minutiae that was part of the memories is gone. 

You've been given a facelift, your insides have been re-arranged, you've been given the chance to continue to be a part of history. Personal and otherwise. 

No comments: